Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA)
GINA means Global Initiative for Asthma, a collaborative project of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (US).
It is the most important worldwide project on asthma.
GINA is one of the co-founders of Global Alliance Against Chronic Respiratory Diseases (GARD) from WHO
- Increase awareness of asthma and its public health consequences
- Promote identification of reasons for the increased prevalence of asthma
- Promote study of the association between asthma and the environment
- Reduce asthma morbidity and mortality
- Improve management of asthma
- Improve availability and accessibility of effective asthma therapy
GINA is developing now its Phase 9. The Phase 9 activities include:
- Updating GINA Documents
- Asthma Information Gateways using the Internet
- Supervision of World Asthma Day
- Development of GINA Symposia throughout the world
Probably, the most important GINA´s contribution has been its documents, specially the GINA Workshop. This document has been updated October 2005, using EBM strategies.
Please, visit the GINA web site to downloads.
Workshop. Last update 2009
- GINA Workshop Report, Updated 2009.
- Pocket Guide for Asthma Management and Prevention - updated 2009
Global Strategy for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma in Children 5 Years and Younger
Published May 5, 2009 (World Asthma Day)
Visit GINA web site to download
- Global Burden of Asthma Report
- GINA Practical Guide for Asthma Management
- Dissemination and Implementation of Asthma Guidelines - December, 2003
- Teaching Slide Set based on GINA documents - November, 2003
- Inhaler Charts for use with GINA documents - 2001
- Information about spacers for health care professionals - 2003
- GINA directory of asthma patient organizations. Asthma Management and Prevention: A Practical Guide 1996.
- GINA Patient Guide -(inglés1996)
- Patient Guide - Lo que Ud. y su familia pueden hacer en relación al Asma (español 1995)